Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday is here again

It has been a quiet weekend. Yesterday I did some sewing and also prepared a quilt top for quilting. I dread quilting it. It is not my favorite thing to do. I also made a cosmetic bag and hope to make many more as gifts.

I saw a cute idea yesterday on Quilt "N" Stitch. It was a fabric birthday cake that I am going to try to do in minature and possibly make it a pin cushion. I hope to try it in the next couple of days.

As I am looking around, I see that as usual my desk is a mess. I have notes everywhere. I guess it is time to clean it up. Today that is exactly what I have been doing. I need to vacuum the kitchen floor yet and then that is is for the day as far as cleaning. Tomorrow I will do more.

Now onto memories: I have very few memories left of Hinsdale but I do remember going to the corner grocery store and buying bread and eating the end before I got home.

When I was growing up World War II was going on. I remember my uncles being in the service and I also remember making records to send them. In fact on one of those records I sang "Mares eat oats and does Eat Oats" for one of my uncles who was somewhere in Europe. I also remember the day the war ended. All the church bells started ringing and the sirens went off, The war was over. I remember none of my friends were home so I banged pot lids and pots together to make noise to celebrate. I was young enough that I had no idea what war was but I was thrilled whatever it was it was over and my uncles would be coming home. I also got on my bike and rode it around.

I never talked about my bike. I did finally get a bike but it was not a new one like my girlfriend Noreen had. Mine was old and not shiny and I remember a tire needed to be changed on the bike and the fender never got put back on the bike. I didn't ride the bike much after that.

That is about all I remember about living in Hinsdale. When I was 9 my Dad and Mom decided that they were going to move to Florida which my dad called the "Land of Opportunity". We took a trip to Florida. I think it was just my Mom, Dad and me. I have no idea where Chuck was. John I believe was in college by that time. My Dad didn't find anything at that time but they decided that is what they were going to do and sold all of their furniture and we kept only the few clothes, towels and bedding that we owned. I think we also took a large radio to Florida I don't remember taking any toys with me either. My Dad and mom sold the house in Hinsdale and we moved to the city. It ended up my Mom, Chuck and I living with my grandmother Krech and my Dad living with my Aunt Anna. Chuck took the train every morning to go to high school in Hinsdale. The school found out and wanted tuition and the fight was on. My Dad refused to pay the money as we were moving. Who knows how the school found out that Chuck was commuting to school.

I hated living with my Grandmother. I knew no one and everything was foreign to me. I hated Gary School. Everyone was segrated, boys on one side of the playground and the girls on the other side of the building. I had nothing to do. I started eating ice cream every day and started getting chubby. After 6 months of living with my grandmother my Dad finally found a place that we would live in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment