Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Daylight should be here soon although by looking out the window, you would not believe that morning is almost here. Today I am going to the doctor so that my prescriptions can get renewed. To me this seems like a wasted trip as I am not sick and just need her to write a prescription. I guess it is a great way for a doctor to make more money.

After the doctor I will go to Joann Fabrics to pick up a few items to finish a few more projects. Then I am off to meet Virginia for lunch. She is such a nice person and in church we seemed to hit it off right away. Then after lunch I need to pick up a few things from the grocery store and then home. It will be good to get out today as I haven't been out in days. I am very content to watch tv and do my sewing and embroidering.

Yesterday I did very little sewing and am working on square #7 of my Halloween quilt. Will I ever get this square done? It has quite a bit of embroidery on it, but I am getting closer to the end.

Yesterday as I was thinking about this posting of my thoughts and thought this would be a good place to put down memories for my children so they can see or at least hear of things that when on when I grew up. So every day I will try to post at least one memory of my childhood.

I remember growing up in Hinsdale, Illinois. We had a two story house on 3 South Quincy Street. The house is still there but I am sure that there are many changes inside the house. When I lived in that house we had a big yard. Now there is a house in that yard. When you walked into our house you entered a hallway and a stairway to go either up to the main part of the house or down to the basement. The hallway had 3 slot machines in it. My dad used to repair slot machines for people. Down the stairs to the basement was old and dingy but the wash machine was down there. If I recall, possibly a shower was down there also although I don't remember ever using it. What I do remember is that the furnace was down there and it was really hot by it and we had a coal pile as most furnaces were run by coal in those days. I do remember my brothers making puzzles with a jig saw down there. I always wanted to make one but I was always too young. What I remember most of all was horses and a stagecoach. I don't think it was a toy as I was told not to touch it. I wonder if it was from my godmother as she used to own the house and maybe left it there. I thought the basement was creepy.

When you walked upstairs, you walked into a breakfast nook with curtains that my Mom had embroidered with dutch patterns. It was the 40s so that kind of thing was very popular. There was a large window in the nook and we always, in the summer, had flowers boxes with red geranium, white petunias, and blue ageratum. It was World War II time so that must have been the patriotic way. In the kitchen we also had a desk with cubby holes with our names on it. I used to hope that someday my cubby hole had something in it, like a letter or post card.

From the kitchen you went into a dining room with a large china cabinet. I believe in those days they called it a breakfront. It was a Dunkin Fife, not sure of the spelling but I believe it was a very expensive set. Off of the dining room was our only bathroom. It was the typical 40s bathroom.

The next room was the living room and it had a bay window in it and all the latest furniture. Good friends of my parents had a furniture store in Riverside and he did all the furniture in the living and dining rooms. I remember going to their house once and having pig's tails for supper. I used to love pig's tails, sounds horrible now. In the living room we had a cedar closet. It was a large closet partially under the staircase. My mom and dad used to go dancing a lot in those days and I remember she had a fake gardenia that would glow in the dark. I would always go into that closet to see the gardenia.

We had a large screened porch on the front of the house off of the living room. I was afraid of storms in those days and my brother Chuck would take me out on the porch in storms to watch the rain. We would lay on the swing and he would protect me from the storm. I grew to love storms as I got older. We also all slept on the front porch when the weather got unbearable. We would take our feather beds and lay them down on the floor and sleep on them.

Off of the living room was a stairway that led into the bedrooms. At the top of the stairs was a large room for my two brothers, a small room for me and off of my bedroom a room for my parents. Chuck and John's bedroom was over the porch room. I remember my brother Chuck sneaking out of the house by going out the bedroom window and off of the roof and jump to the ground. Chuck's bed also had gum all over the underside of the frame. There were twin beds in that room.

My room was small with a single bed and lots and lots of toys. I had lots of dolls. I was the only girl in the family at that time with lots of boys older than me and my aunts were young and bought me all the latest of things. Boy was I spoiled.

Mom and Dad's room was next to mine. I remember a very large vanity with Channel #5 Perfume on it. I remember very little else of that room.

Our yard was large with flowers everywhere and cherry trees. My dad had build a fireplace and we had a patio. In those days, no one had a patio. Our yard was fenced in. I used to climb up on the fireplace and over the fence to get to my girlfriend Noreen's house. She lived behind me. But that is another store. Now that I have told you about the yard and house that is the first part of my growing up. I will write more memories later.

No comments:

Post a Comment