Friday, March 26, 2010

time passes quickly

Time passes by too quickly. It is the weekend and soon it will be next weekend. The older I get the faster it goes. Today I am resting as tomorrow will be a busy day. I am going into the church craft show. I hope I make some money and that we have very little to take home.

I don't remember the last time I posted some memories of when I was growing up. I believe it was when I lived in Florida at "Azalea Courts". We had four motel units. Motels were different in those days as most were not large. Some had separate rooms and some were joined together. Ours were joined together and had a bedroom and a bathroom. There was a small shower, a toilet, and a sink in the bathroom. The bedroom consisted of a bed a lamp and a dresser. The motel was built of cement blocks and none of us had air-conditioning in those days. I don't think air-conditioning existed in those days. Next to the units was an attached building or I should say room that housed the hot water heater. The washing of the linens, towels, etc was done by my mother or I sometimes would be bored and wash the clothes.

The wash machine was outside of our house. It was a wringer type wash machine and there was a rinse tub outside too. Clothes driers didn't yet exist. We would have to hang the sheets, towels, etc on the clothes line. When I would do it it was always difficult me hanging the laundry as I was a kid, maybe 11 years old. I do remember sometimes stepping in a red (fire ant) hill and getting my feet and legs eaten alive until I knocked them off of me.

We had an iron mangler in the home and the sheets and the pillow cases would be ironed that way. I always enjoyed doing the ironing on it. That is when I felt like it.

It was hard on my Mom helping to run the business and then doing the striping of the motel unit and then washing, drying, ironing and cleaning the units just to go back to making hamburgers, chili, etc. She would sometimes work to 1:30 in the morning just to get up and start all over again.

From the time I was 11 years old on, I would always get up by myself in the morning, get washed and dressed and open the business, make breakfast for myself and go to school. Deciding what to wear to school was easy and we always had to wear a dress or a skirt and blouse and I had very few to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment