Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Today we are having snow flurries with 1-2" accumulation. I cut out the batting and the fabric to work on my new quilt and will probably work on it this afternoon. The groundhog saw it's shadow so naturally we are having 6 more weeks of winter. I knew that before he even looked. LOL We are bound to have 6 more weeks of winter. Spring can come fast enough for me. I just want to go out in the sunshine.

This morning when I was looking in the closet for something to wear a thought of my Mom came to me. I don't remember when I was young my mother wearing pants. She always had on a dress or a skirt and blouse. When she was at home either cleaning the house or baking she wore a dress that was called a Mickey Apron. What a strange name for a dress. It was made out of cotton and was very plain. It had cape sleeves and a tie belt that started on the sides and tied in the back. It was always of a print. I remember Mom wearing them a lot. Mom's in those days were stay at home wives/mothers. I only knew of a few women that worked in those days. My aunt Anna I believe worked at a factory during World War II as a lot of women did. My Aunt Dorothy who was the youngest, only 3 years older than my brother John, worked as a buyer for Marshall Field and Company. She bought clothes for the children's department.

Anyway, getting back to the dress, my Mom always wore them and even in Florida. When we got down to our new house, everything had to be cleaned starting with the business and there was remodeling to be done. I don't remember the beer joint or tavern, I don't really know what to call it. Only beer was sold no other liquor was allowed. My dad worked on the windows first as Mom started scrubbing the kitchen and organizing it the way she wanted it. They had decided to make hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chili and occasionally soup. Mom also made breakfast which was only bacon and eggs and I think pancakes. But I am not sure about the breakfast. After Dad removed and replaced the windows, he started working on the bar and changing a few things around and changing it a little. Within a short time the beer joint was clean and running. There was beer on tap and coke and milk for my Dad. My Dad was not a drinker and only occassionally had a beer.

My mom got the lovely job of cleaning the bathrooms but I know when she came to the Men's bathroom she made my Dad help her. Her next job was the motel rooms. Dad also had a neon sign made for the front and they planted Azalea bushes in front of the motel units. Dad also made a planting area around the one side of the Joint for lack of another word to describe it. He also out of cement block made a fence around the patio. Things were starting to shape up.

No comments:

Post a Comment